Thai cuisine is fairly new to me. I discovered Pad Thai just a few months ago and have since made it myself a couple of times. While having lunch with a friend last week (eating my usual Pad Thai), I had a taste of her green curry and decided that I really need to branch out!
Last night I tried out a recipe found on Recipe Zaar, which has become one of my new favorite sources for recipes. I changed it up a little bit, using shrimp instead of chicken, and it came out great! It wasn't quite as sweet as the curry in the restaurant, but that's OK. Also, I really wish I hadn't forgotten the fresh basil at the store - I'm sure it would have made the dish that much better!
Chicken and Broccoli Thai Curry
Recipe courtesy of Recipe Zaar
- 1 tablespoon green or red curry paste **I used green
- 1 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil **I had to use dried
- 1 can bamboo shoot, drained
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips **I used 1/2 lb shrimp
- 3-4 cups fresh broccoli florets
In a medium saucepan combine curry paste and coconut milk and heat. Just before boiling, reduce heat and simmer and 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve over freshly cooked rice.
**Because shrimp cooks much faster than chicken, I only added it during the last 5 minutes of cooking