Thursday, July 24, 2008

Simple and Delicious!



So it seems that my husband, James, has grown increasingly interested in this blog. The following "recipe" is really just something I like to throw together when I can't think of anything else and so I certainly wasn't going to blog it. Blogging should be reserved for something special, right? Well, James was so insistent that this dinner be on my blog that he got the camera out and shot the photos himself! Anyway, the following is going to be more of a description than a recipe and can have about a million variations depending what you have on hand!

Black Bean Quesadillas
Recipe courtesy of me!


Serves 2


Ingredients....

  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • about 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
  • 1-2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
  • a couple hand fulls of baby spinach
  • chili powder
  • lime juice
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas
  • oil/cooking spray
Directions...

Heat a skillet w/a little oil on medium heat (anything with a larger diameter than your tortillas - a double griddle so that you can do two at a time would be even better!).

Mix black beans and red onion with chili powder (season to taste) and the juice of 1/2 a lime. Lay one tortilla out on a flat surface. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese on the tortilla, covering most of its surface. Layer 1/2 of the black beans over the cheese. Spread a few spinach leaves on top of the black beans and top with another 1/4 of the cheese. Place another tortilla on top. Repeat this process with the rest of the cheese, black beans, spinach, and the other tortillas. Cook the quesedillas for 3-4 minutes on each side until the tortillas are brown and crispy and the cheese in melted. Flip carefully! (I have had many near-misses when flipping my quesedillas) Move to cutting board and cut into 4 wedges. Enjoy!

I serve this with guacamole, light sour cream, and salsa (homemade is best, but jarred is just fine!).

Here's all you need to make a quick salsa with your food processor:

5-6 roma/plum tomatoes
1/4 of a red onion
handful cilantro leaves
salt to taste
juice of one lime
chopped jalepeno

Throw it all in and pulse until everything is chopped and incorporated. To make the guacamole I just mash up an avacado with a couple tablespoons of the fresh salsa. Voila!

3 comments:

That Girl said...

The whole wheat tortillas give it such a great color.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I need to incorporate more whole wheat in my diet and your post has encouraged me to try whole wheat tortillas!

Aggie said...

I love whole wheat tortillas, in fact I love this whole meal of yours! Your homemade salsa looks delicious too!