Monday, May 26, 2008

Roast Beef for my Husband

I am not a roast beef eating kind of person. I much prefer things like chicken or no meat at all. I do enjoy beef hamburgers, but for some reason when beef comes in a giant hunk or a big slab, it is not all that appetizing to me. That being said, I decided to make this for my poor red meat loving husband who doesn't actually get to eat red meat all that often. I served the roast with a side of steamed broccoli and mashed red potatoes with parsley, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.

Top Round Roast Beef
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, Food Network

Ingredients...

1 (4 1/2 to 5 pound) top round roast, rinsed and patted dry
16 cloves peeled garlic
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 teaspons salt
1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows **I didn't have this, so I just used some dried thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 small sprigs fresh thyme

Directions...

Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees.

Put the roast in a small roasting pan, bone side down. With a small sharp knife, make sixteen 1/2-inch-deep slits in the meaty side of the roast. Insert 1 garlic clove into each slit, pressing into the meat. Pinch with your thumb and index finger to close the openings. Combine the chopped thyme, salt, Essence, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly stir in the oil to make a paste. Rub the paste on both sides of the roast, and place the thyme sprigs under the roast. Roast for 1 hour. Remove the pan from the oven and turn the roast for even browning. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the roast reads 125 to 130 degrees F for medium-rare, about 45 minutes, or 140 degrees F for medium, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let the roast stand for 15 minutes before carving.


No comments: