Chicken Enchiladas with Chili Gravy
Recipe Courtesy of Tara from "Smells Like Home"
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 a green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chili gravy (recipe follows)
- 4 flour tortillas **I used 5 and had plenty of filling**
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and peppers and cook for about 5 min. Add shredded chicken and stir. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Remove from pan and set aside. Using the same pan, make the chili gravy as follows.
- 1/4 cup lard **I used vegetable oil**
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp powdered garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (Mexican oregano is preferred if it’s available)
- 2 T chili powder (either homemade or a dark brand such as Gebhardt’s or Whole Foods or McCormick)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.
- Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add chicken broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. **It took about 8 minutes for me** Add water to adjust the thickness. Makes 2 cups.
- Once the chili gravy is done, add 1/2 a cup to the chicken mixture and stir. Spoon the chicken mixture into the flour tortilla shells and roll up. Spread another half cup of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish and place the rolled tortillas in the dish. Top with the remaining cup of sauce and shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 min. **I served with some sour cream**