Sunday, September 2, 2007

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan and Pesto Pasta

We've been trying to eat more fish lately and this recipe has been raved about on the cooking board I frequent, so I thought I'd try it. It was so quick and easy and really tasted delicious! My husband says it's the best fish dish I've ever made so I think it will be making some more appearances on my menu! I served this with some sauteed green beans and whole-wheat pasta with pesto sauce.



Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
Recipe Courtesy of All Recipes

Serves 8 (I cut the recipe in half when I made it)

Ingredients...


  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder**I didn't have any so I left it out
  • 1/8 teaspoon celery salt**I used celery seed instead because that's what I had
  • 2 pounds tilapia filet
Directions...

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

For the pesto sauce I just processed the following in the food processor:

1 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup walnuts (pine nuts are more traditional, but I like walnuts too)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove

This makes enough sauce for about 6-8 oz. pasta. It's one of our favorite summer dishes to make when fresh basil is plentiful. It also freezes really well, making for a nice change of pace in the middle of winter.


2 comments:

Jaime said...

i recently tried this recipe out as well... loved it! you should try the lemon garlic tilapia in my blog too, also great :)

Computer Repair Charlotte said...

I tried this recipe.....had to improvise some. Used pine nuts and mixture of nuts from a health food blend I had...because didn't have the nut called for. I also used butter in place of olive oil. I am SOOOO not a cook, but try to find recipes online sometimes. I have never cooked tilapia before. My husband is from Cameroon, so it was new for him. But he said he would have it again..it wasn't his favorite. I thought it was nice to have something EASY to fix and NEW. Thanks for the recipe.!